Barista 101

Barista 101
100 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, VIC
Coffex coffee


An anonymous reader left a tip in my Bistrot d'Orsay post to try the Raspberry & White Chocolate muffin here after the inconsistent muffins in Bistot and the inconsistent opening hours of Animal Orchestra left me hanging...

This place is actually really near my office and it's a regular for lunch - the Fishmonger ciabatta ($8) is my favourite and so big I can spread it over 2 meals! It's always really crowded for the coffee (supposedly the best) but I prefer my usual coffee guys at 2 Fingers down the road on Russell St. Maybe it's only popular with the people working in 101 Collins?
Anyway, back to the muffin ($3). As the reader pointed out, they do sell out really early. I can understand why. When I went before work, it just came out of the oven. Because it was warm, the white chocolate buttons on top melted and formed a layer so it doesn't look so good in the picture above. Boy did it smell good... I have a weak spot for warm muffin tops - this one had a sticky honey-like substance around the sides too, which made the top even more fabulous.
Unfortunately, that was were the fabulous ended. Being a huge muffin, there wasn't enough ingredients in the middle, which left it being slightly too dry. I couldn't finish the whole muffin, nor did I want to, but needless to say the muffin top never reached the bin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should try the breaky across the road at cafe kinetic which just got voted in the top ten of the cbd

Anonymous said...

i work in 101 collins and went in for breakfast at cafe kinetic and am pretty sure i wont be going there again anytime soon. Barista across the road on the other hand know exactly what they are doing and get great coffee, great food every single time! Not waiting no matter how busy it gets. just love the people and the consistancy!