Red Star Cafe

Red Star Cafe
315 Coventry Street, South Melbourne, VIC
Red Star coffee


So I was impressed by the coffee at Le Petit Gateau and asked them where it was from. Turns out it's a local place so I just had to visit the cafe! Coffee was disappointing though... too milky here. The berry smoothie had too much yoghurt but delightful on a warm day. Outdoor service wasn't very friendly nor responsive.


With not much I would order e.g. Muesli, boring pancakes/french toast, the usual hollandaise variations, I chose the safe option of the Big Breaky ($19) - 2 eggs with bacon, chipolata sausages, hash brown, tomatoes, mushrooms & Schwobs light rye. The hash was a ridiculously oily, overfried disc, the mushrooms were tasteless and the bread obtainable from Coles.

Their "Chef Roxy's Breakfast favourite", Huevos Rancheros ($17) - 2 poached eggs cooked in tomato and parsley sauce served with chorizo, fetta cheese and toasted sourdough didn't deserve the "South Melbourne Locals No. 1 Choice for Breakfast" award either... but I have to admit the chillis have kick!

I guess the prices didn't register until I paid the hefty bill. Felt cheated by the substandard, expensive breakfast! Even worse when I discovered later that day, that this place had a coupon in the Entertainment book I could have used...

No comments: