The Commoner

The Commoner
122 Johnston Street, Fitzroy VIC
Bean Ground & Drunk Coffee


The Commoner's food is Middle Eastern influenced… and things like yogurt, chickpeas, spiced lamb etc don't appeal to me much. Also, there's a very limited window of opportunity for breakfast so I had not eaten there before this, even though I've heard excellent reviews about how fresh and original the food is.

The place is small… I guess you could call it cosy. Service was prompt & friendly. Coffees were good. I didn't fancy the menu but that's just because I'm picky. Ended up ordering the Poached Eggs with spinach, crisp pancetta and Soldiers ($16). The soldiers were dripping in EVOO, which was nice but considering the pancetta was deep fried, I felt slightly sick after eating the dish. I guess unhealthy food is tasty though…

He had the Honkey sandwich - crispy pancetta, harissa, fried free range eggs, spinach and aioli($16), which had some spices I didn't appreciate. But he enjoyed it!

No comments: