Ellery and Co

Ellery & Co
46 Church Street, Hawthorn, VIC


This place was a shocker... looking at the menu I thought it would be good - plenty of chorizo items for the boy and big breakfast/pancakes/other egg dishes for me. But the experience was so appalling the quality of the food doesn't compare.


We sat down on the non-communal table and ordered coffees while browsing the menu. 15 minutes later, not only did the coffees not arrive, nobody came back to take our order, nor could we get the attention of a waitress. Mind you the place isn't that big. Another 5 minutes the boy finally stood up, ready to order at the counter and the waitress (let's call her pink - she was wearing a pink 3/4 sleeve top) came over. She took our order and asked if we wanted coffees, to which our reply was "we've already ordered them".

Another 5 minutes later, we realised all the tables that came in after us were being served so they must have forgotten out order (you would think pink would follow up on it after we told her we have ordered). After a big effort of getting her attention again we finally asked her to check on it. Judging from the barista's reaction when pink told her, she obviously forgot about it. No apologies, no sign of rush... they came out after the 3 takeaway orders!
The coffee was watery but the hot chocolate was better than average... not worth the 45 minutes wait though.

Pink brought the food out and realised (on her own accord) we needed cutlery. She went back to get it, came out and hovered around the 4 non-communal tables. Then she turned back and got napkins, before coming back and laying the cutlery for the table next to us (whose food had not arrived yet). The best part is yet to come... She had no more cutlery in her hands after setting the other table but had 2 napkins in her hand. She turned back and I assumed she would get 2 more sets of cutlery for us but instead she put the 2 napkins down!!! WTF. I was hungry and grumpy already and food going cold in front of me did not help. We called another (more competent) waitress over and she gave us cutlery.
I wish I could say all was forgiven by the food... My Potato hash with smoked salmon, avocado, crème fraiche, roquette and a poached egg ($14) was presented nicely but the hash was just tasteless BOILED potatoes squished together. And it was watery, indicating they cut it up before boiling instead of after!
His Spanish omelette with chorizo, red onion, tomato, capsicum and parsley ($14) was a special of the day and it was the most rubbery omelette ever.

If I wasn't starving by then I would have left my share untouched. Instead, I ate a bit and did some appropriate "art" which I hope they noticed when clearing the plates...

We dropped by Ikea after to get some stuff and saw the sign of the $2.95 breakfast. Everyone knows it’s more the value than the quality there but after the awful breakfast, we'd wished we ate at Ikea instead!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a regular coffee lover (and regular customer at and Ellery and co), I was surprised and appalled at this review.

If your so dissapointed and had such a bad experience why bother to post this? have you ever thought about the consoqueses of posting such a bad review for the buisness and staff ? This cafe has been open only 3 months - and yes I frequently enjoy my morning coffee and have not had the 'awful, experience in which you describe in such a scathing way.

if you actually have ever eaten at ikea - Im surprised you can even call your self a restaurant reviewer - why dont you just go to Mc Donald's.

And next time you walk into a resturany and photography the staff with out there permission and post the photos on the internet - you should check your legal rights in doing so.

Anonymous said...

I’m not the blog author but the ‘he’ referred to in the post. I found this comment is so ridiculous I had no option but to reply!

First of all, I’m glad you regularly enjoy your coffee there. Our experience however was vastly different from yours. She wrote this entry based on our one visit (we have no compulsion whatsoever to go back). Perhaps it was an atypically bad performance by Ellery and co, but this is the nature of food blogs.

Now to the points you’ve made. This post may indeed adversely affect the staff and owners of Ellery and co. I would hope they learn from it and do better in the future but regardless of that, why do they deserve to be shielded at the expense of the consumer? More to the point, why not help out cafes that perform well by having a fair rating system rather than reward mediocrity?

We have indeed eaten at Ikea and, for that matter, at McDonalds. If you feel that in some way diminishes our ability to recognise bad service and terrible food, then so be it. No where on this blog did she claim that she was a ‘restaurant reviewer’ simply a lover of breakfast writing a blog for fellow lovers of breakfast.

I believe there have been several precedents’ set globally on a blogger’s rights to post photos. Please don’t make pseudo-legal threats – but if you must, please use better English to do so.

Blogger said...

I am in no way a restaurant reviewer, and I keep this blog for my friends & my own reference in the future. Nobody is forcing you to read this... in fact, there is a blog out there that only reviews the good places.

I write about my personal experience, good or bad, for all the breakfast places I've eaten at. I form favourites just like anyone else, including you. Unfortunately, Ellery & Co isn't one of them but if it's one of yours then so be it. Maybe you should blog a good review about them!

For the record, while I do not like Ikea's breakfasts, I do admit they are great value for money. And there are some days I crave Maccas' Egg & Bacon McMuffin!

Anonymous said...

yes, you are obviously not a restaurant reviewer

Don Pyke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Don Pyke said...

Always good to see some one prepared to put their point of view to electric paper!
Love my coffee and am prepared to travel and as a local to me Ellory and Co does save some travel.
Over time have managed to sample most of the menu (as far a veterinarianally possible) and so far have not been disappointed. Have been for a couple of evening there as well (which is a bit off this topic)but as the menu is not that huge, have to space these visits...

Gus said...

@ "Anonymous" - You are obviously not a restaurant reviewer either. Bad reviews need to be published, else how would the dining public know where to avoid? Your poor grammar, spelling and punctuation and baseless hints at legal consequences point to a poorly educated busy-body with an axe to grind. If you disagree with the blogger, feel free to keep eating at Ellery & Co - I certainly won't be!

Anonymous said...

We had lunch there last week and we loved it. There were 7 of us and we had the lunch menu, 2 courses & wine. Very much looking forward to my next meal there.
Meredith