Seven Seeds

Seven Seeds
114 Berkeley Street, Carlton, VIC
Their own blend of coffee


“You get the feeling that they know they have a great product, so there is no need to sell it, or be pretentious about it, just get the job done. They do it well.”

I agree with the above quote. Granted, I didn't expect much since it's the sibling of Brother Baba Budan (which I've only tried once but left me feeling extremely underwhelmed).

I know the main point of this industrial height ceiling warehouse (which left me feeling very cold) is coffee. But what's with the food? You only get a choice between an A5 page of muesli, sweets and sandwiches.

We tried the Thyme mushrooms, toasted pinenuts & fontina hot pressed sandwich ($9.50). The mushrooms were good, but not tasty enough to be one of very few ingredients. It came served with some attempt of a chopped lettuce salad with a few sesame seeds. No cutlery is expected to be used. The Dench bread was good but eating a vegetarian dish, I wanted something a little less healthy and seedy...

The Egyptian Eye – fried egg, smoked bacon and roasted tomato relish hot pressed sandwich ($10.50) was a bit better due to the relish and bacon. Like the now closed Filter (big loss to Fitzroy), the egg was fried in the bread.

If you can stomach sweets 1st thing in the morning, try the French toasted brioche with banana, butterscotch sauce, peanut brittle and marscapone ($11.50). Delicious and the only dish worth coming back for. Unique and well executed.

Even sweeter is the Dench sourdough served with Middle Eastern 'Nutella' ($9). I haven't tried it but the girl next to me on the communal table ordered it and it looked sticky as promised and indulgent to the point of sinful!

It's my local so I'd visit it again. But I'm not sure anyone else would… unless they mad keen about single-origin beans!

No comments: